Wednesday 11 May 2016

*Preface of Aadi Sankara's Bhaja Govindam ।। ভজ গোবিন্দম্ ভাগবতপদ ।।

Aadi Shankaracharya is known as the 'Incarnation of lord Shiva' Himself.With HIS concept of ''advaita'' the non-duality ,HE had introduced the world with a new version of spirituality. In his time,while Hinduism- the sanatana dharma was facing loads of awkward practices n customs like castism, touchable /untouchable ; man made rituals has taken the place of what called dharma; HE gave spirituality a new height. 


On Vaishakh Sukla Panchami He was born and in his childhood when he was asked 'who yu are' by his guru- he sang his famous verse "shivoham"- "mano buddhi ahankara chittani naham- na cha sthotra jihve na cha ghran netre..."
I AM SHIVA.
It was just beyond imagination that a boy explains his master who HE is and who we all are. 


His every verse has a great teaching n noone till now could contribute further to what HE has offered the spiritual world.
Though we are not the experiencer,still we on the path of spirituality has our coins of experiences as spiritual asset.
The moment something we experience,it actually stored as memory. But with the vision that all these into our life are just happening - we remain detached.
Ramanujam just after Adi Shankara came n has introduced the spiritual world to d concept of Visisth-Advaita. A devotee sees god as a separate entity. In bhakthi,They are two,not one.

I was small. Not knowing about these two famous GURUs. That time net was not there,we had a little time to go through the scriptures when we were student.
Moreover the source in our family,my granny had passed away. In bengal, the south indian masters were not that famous that time. but today i will tell yu my experience fr "bhaja govindam" Shankara's famous 12 verses which speaks about Bhakti and Satsang. 


Once during my childhood I got to see "Sanyasi Raja" with the ladies of our family in a cinema hall. I was small, and was not allowed to see movies. As coincidentally , a ticket was extra with them, they have taken me along . 


Some family drama,a king n his brute friend chasing his wife,conspiracy to kill the king, somehow he was saved n gone far far away for long.... nothing was getting into my head clearly but a song in the movie when that king returned to his estate as a sanyasi n was before the bar council as a witness of the entire conspiracy only in order to save his prajas. 

His face,His Robe,His Beard n the long hair,n His eyes speaking the emptiness was stored in my that little head.When at the end if the movie he was walked away-leaving everything behind singing that famous song "bhaja govindam,bhaja govindam, bhaja govindam _____"

I have not mentioned the next word here 'mudamaate' cause that time i was not getting the word exactly .... But I was one- with the scene and with the sanyasi. I was weeping inside the dark hall. I didnot wish him to go away. Probably for the first time I was experiencing 'longing' for something unknown. Show ended, and we came back home. Sometimes i used to sing that song replacing the unknown word with ''mann re'' ..... 

In deep love hidden inside my heart fr that lyric, pain for the unknown, I was growing up. I saw the movie again after long time,on tv, then I was a grown up girl and I knew the word "muda maate". 


Still whenever i listened to that song somewhere, my heart gets soaked into that experience, in that voice,that lyric ,that sanyasi.... 


After many years i could found that song n the singer somewhere. A figure so known still so fresh in my memory. 

I really cannot explain how this came as the preface of 'Bhagabadpad' , probably a line which is true for every disciple for their gurus * Janam janam ka saath hai, nibhaneko... Sau sau baar humne janam liye...  * 

Its the Guru who pushes one towards satsang, towards devotion, makes one to experience 'Longing' and ....

longing knows no end.....


1 comment:

  1. This post was originally published in 2013. Then was saved as draft. Today on Gurudev's Birthday wished to share it.

    ReplyDelete